Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Week Five Already?!?!


This past week has not been super eventful, but still has been a lot of fun!
On Wednesday my roommates and I went to the weekly reggae concert on the beach. We sat and had a drink, went dancing, then we decided to go for a night swim in the ocean. I love living near the ocean!
Friday was Ramadan, a big Muslim holiday celebrating the end of the fast. In Ghana most of the northern population is muslim, and the south is mostly Christian, and there are few people of other religions. People here tend to be very religious, but still get along with each other well. I have found that it is best to avoid conversations having to do with religion with locals, as people tend to try talking me into following their religion. Accra (where I live) is in the south so the majority of the population is Christian but there are also a lot of muslims here because it is the capital. Friday night I went out with my roommates Gina and Ada and their group of muslims friends to celebrate. Ramadan is a very big deal to muslims so there were a lot of people out celebrating. We went out to a popular dance club. Our new muslim friends are very nice guys and did a great job at keeping all the overly outgoing men away from us, which I appreciated very much!
On Saturday we went to campus to watch the soccer tournament. It was a lot of fun to watch them. Many of them didn't have proper gear such as shin guards and cleats but they still are so good! The little boys team could probably beat a US college team! We also watched the basketball tournament for awhile. It was a little weird seeing so many tall Ghanaians because Ghanaians tend to be really short.
My roommates and I have been having a lot of fun doing a little decorating throughout the house. It is starting to look really homely and nice. We have been doing a lot of cooking and watching Sex and The City. I am really grateful that I get along with my roommates so well! We are always hanging out and talking about our experiences which has made the culture change so easy for me!
My classes are starting to get more serious, so tonight I will be doing schoolwork.
I am looking forward to another week in Ghana. This week I will hopefully start my internship at the clinic. My roommates and I are planning on getting out of the city for the weekend, I'm excited for some adventures!
Love, Laur (my new nickname, thanks to my roommates)

No comments:

Post a Comment